Monday, January 12, 2015

Favorites of 2014: Number 5

5. 7Seconds - Leave A Light On
I haven’t been excited about anything happening in the world of punk in a loooong time. Most of the bands I listened to way back when (ugh, am I really that old?) sound like pale imitations of themselves, while most of the newer bands sound like generic retreads. There’s an overwhelming sense of “been there, done that, nothing’s as good as it used to be.” Seriously, the only punk thing to catch my attention recently was a documentary various punk rockers becoming fathers (The Other F Word). I'd kind of given up hope on anything related to punk. Apparently, Kevin Seconds decided he wasn’t having any of that sh*t and kicked open the doors of my consciousness wide enough to stroll in and remind me of why I liked this music so much in the first place. Maybe it’s the 9-year break since their last album, but the band sounds completely reinvigorated. There’s an energy and life that’s missing from most long-term punk acts. This is a record that can easily stand alongside their best work.
7Seconds have always walked the fine line of being positive without coming across as preachy or cheesy. They never sound self-righteous, even though their songs are earnest. It’s probably no surprise that the dominant themes on this album are unity, perseverance, banding together when things are difficult, and putting thoughts/words into action. Musically, it’s well-executed melodic hardcore. The production is slick and crisp, and they’re not making an effort to be something they’re not. It hearkens back to Soulforce Revolution, but it has a fresh sound that is all its own. It’s not like they’re trying to recapture some faded glory. Plus, it’s far and away the best running album of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment