8. TV On The Radio - Seeds
This is some moody, brooding, atmospheric stuff. It’s also the most challenging album I enjoyed this year. My big realization of 2014 is that I’m not necessarily interested in the kind of complex novelty that appeals to critics. Maybe it’s that most of my music listening occurs at work, or maybe I’m just getting old, but I’m just tired of having to work in order to enjoy music. With TV on the Radio, sifting through the complexity never feels like work. It's accessible without being simplistic. Unlike a lot of bands that engage in sonic experimentation and incorporate a wide variety of genres, TV on the Radio seems to understand that these flourishes work best when used in the service of the song. None of it ever feels superfluous. They’re not just noodling around or experimenting for the sake of experimenting.
As for the music itself, there’s a strong Stereolab influence on this album. I don’t know how overt it is to anyone else, as I haven’t seen it mentioned in any reviews (probably not so overt then, Chuck), but the first thing I thought when listening to this album was “Geez, this sounds a lot like Mars Audiac Quintet.” To me, it comes across in the types of synths used and the layering of sounds and the overall feel, since Seeds is more expansive than anything Stereolab did. It lies at the intersection of R&B, Electronica, Post-punk, Psychedelia, and Indie Rock, which is an area occupied by precious few artists. Thematically, it’s melancholy but hopeful. Moments of sunny optimism peek through, even though the overall tone leans toward being wistful.
No comments:
Post a Comment